Skip to Content

Columbia Studio

City Water Exterior Front Angled

An abandoned automobile dealership is converted into a certified LEED Gold, eight-time award-winning facility.

University of South Carolina Exterior Front

USC has the second-only, LEED Silver-certified intercollegiate Indoor Football Practice facility in the U.S.

University of South Carolina Instructional Chemistry Interior Blue Corridor

USC repurposed a former Law School to Chemistry Labs in the heart of a tight urban campus.

Night football game and fans at Ridge View High School Stadium, Richland County

Safety and security were prime district concerns and became critical components in the design of Ridge View Stadium.

Richland Library, North Main Branch

The vibrant café is a hub of activity at the renovated Richland Library, North Main branch.

Sumter Original Brewery is part of a local brewmaster's effort to revitalize an already historic area downtown.

The Continuum, FDTC, Lake City

The massive wood structure and exposed bolts give the Continuum an industrial feel, still rooted in the natural world.

South Carolina State Museum Observatory, Planetarium, & Theatre - Exterior Back Corner

New program spaces added to the SC State Museum include an observatory, planetarium, and 4D Theatre.

See More Projects

Offering architecture, planning, and design across the Southeast region since 1955.

Hello from Columbia

Address

Columbia Address

McMillan Pazdan Smith

1316 Washington Street
Suite 101
Columbia, SC 29201

(803) 799-5181

(We are located in the former Unity Life Building building, circa 1939.)

Columbia Studio Director

Sanders Tate

Sanders Tate

AIA, NCARB

Columbia Studio Director

Contact Sanders

Parking

Columbia Parking

Metered, off-street parking is available in front of the building, and there are several public parking lots in every direction within a few blocks. We offer our garage card to cover costs for visiting guests.

Columbia Culture

Meet our MPS Columbia team!

Meet our MPS Columbia team!

Our Columbia mascot, Rosie working hard at her desk.

Our Columbia mascot, Rosie working hard at her desk.

Abbie Thielke (far right) regroups with other Marketing team members at Cultivate.

Our marketing guru, Abbie Thielke (far right) regroups with other marketing team members at Cultivate.

Participating in PARK(ing) Day Columbia

For PARK(ing) Day Columbia we designed and built a pop-up sitting / working area to replace parked cars for a day.

Xin, Nick, and Sanders get ready for the MPS WELL cooking class.

Xin, Nick, and Sanders attend our MPS WELL cooking class.

Happy hour at the War Mouth, Columbia.

Happy hour at the War Mouth, Columbia.

Tom and Sanders study the options in a pin-up session.

Tom and Sanders study the options in a pin-up session.

Amy leads some afternoon yoga in the park for our team.

Amy leads the group in tree pose during yoga stretches at our Edisto retreat.

A backyard bonfire to celebrate the holidays in Columbia.

A backyard bonfire for fellowship concludes our Edisto weekend retreat.

Work With Us

Ready to discuss your next architecture, planning, or interiors project?

Contact Us

Unity Life Building

1316 Washington Street, Columbia office, exterior before renovation

1316 Washington, circa 1939, before renovation.

1316 Washington Street, Columbia office, interior

1316 Washington after renovation.

1316 Washington Street, Columbia office, interior before renovation

1316 Washington, circa 1939, before renovation.

Designed in the sleek, simple modernist style made popular in the early 20th century, the limestone-faced building located at 1316 Washington Street opened its doors in 1939 as the Unity Life Building. Built during an isolationist period in the United States brought on by the wounds of World War I and the Great Depression, 1316 Washington Street reflects style of the Moderne and International aesthetic not readily seen in downtown Columbia.

Initially built under the direction of Unity Life President John R. Hoile, the new Washington Street building held an insurance company from 1939 to 1945. From 1948 until the mid 1950s, Commercial Audit Company owned and occupied the entire second floor. In 1955, the building was purchased by retired World War II Lt. Colonel Edgar Morris, who used it as his law offices until 1995.

Under the direction of the project team, the building has been rehabilitated as a “Green” design.  The owners, 1316 Washington LLC, have also been awarded LEED certification.