After an intensive public engagement process which included public meetings in each community and comprehensive staff workshops, MPS developed a building program and budget for the 20,700 SF headquarters of the Lancaster County library.
The project goal was to analyze the existing library facility, identify the functional programming and technology needs and wants, and determine what changes to implement that will have the largest impact while staying within budget.
Specific programming elements included:
- Expand the square footage of the library to accommodate new space for programs
- Provide a divisible multipurpose room for at least 150 people
- Establish a dedicated teen space
- Provide a variety of flexible space for meetings, group collaboration, quiet study, and programs for adults and children
- Increase the efficiency of the staff area